I was reading a fashion magazine a while ago and was quite amazed on the thought of having cosmetic surgery. NO-- I don't think I would want it on my own body. Cosmetic Surgery is done to improve the appearance of an otherwise normal structure. In most cases, it is subsidiary and not really a necessity. It used to be a trend on elderly men and women so as they could minimize, if not eliminate, signs of aging. These days, however, cosmetic surgery is becoming a trend among the young ones, too. What amazes me, like what the author of the magazine said, is the fact that parents of these young ones allow their children to undergo such complicated and risky situation. Sometimes, both mother and daughter undergo the same operation. We have heard many stories of people seeking for justice for their unsuccessful and/or disappointing cosmetic surgery. Some of these cosmetic surgeries resulted late adverse reactions, some ended in death. Rhinoplasty (nose lift), Blepharoplasty (eyelid-opening, eyelid-slit), Breast Augmentation, and Liposuction are among the most common cosmetic surgeries.I am neither against these people who have had a cosmetic surgery nor do I abhor the parents who let their children undergo such surgery. They have their own reasons and I respect those. Beauty, however essential it is, doesn't capture everything in life. Although I must say that it plays a big role in our society where we are made to think it's a pretty person's world and where norm means being able to please the eyes. Those which aren't considered beautiful don't get so much attention-- or maybe they do, when they become too nauseous (pardon me for using the term) for the eyes to see.
I remember back when I was in grade school, I was watching a talk show on TV and the topic was about BEAUTY. The host asked her guests which would they prefer, a beauty without attitude or the other way around. A male celebrity answered:
"Gusto ko 'yung maganda kahit pangit 'yung ugali. Kasi 'yung ugali, pwedeng ma-impluwensyahan at mabago nang libre. 'Yung mukha..e, mahal 'yun. Alangan namang ako pa 'yung magbayad diba?"
I thought that was funny. Then again, does that really make sense? I personally would prefer the other option. Although I'd still want both be rolled in one, with no BUTS. (Oh, come on. Who doesn't?) I know I have imperfections too, just like everyone else in this world. As I speak, I don't think I'd like to have my own cosmetic surgery. On second thought, I don't want to sound so hypocrite and swallow my words if someday I decide follow the trend. HAHAHA! I mean, if get 50lbs heavier after giving birth to 2 kids, why wouldn't I want to lose all that in an hour or two? Diet with exercise may be another option, although it would take a longer range of time.
..or I should just find someone who wouldn't mind having a fat wife for a good mother, a rare and scarce commodity in the market. ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment