OWNER

My photo
Philippines
Very much Filipina! My style is very feminine, romantic, and colorful. I love the classics. I may be of the latest trends but I still prefer the timeless! I am into color coordination. I like to clad in all things naughty and nice-- secretary dresses to skin showing bottoms, from barn girl to burlesque! So cheers to laces, ruffles, broderie anglaise, sheer trench, crochet and floral mixes!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

NURSING IS CARING


No man, not even a doctor, ever gives any other definition of what a nurse should be than this - 'devoted and obedient'. This definition would do just as well for a porter. It might even do for a horse. It would not do for a policeman
-Florence Nightingale


Why Nursing?
NURSES CARE, DOCTORS CURE. Correct me if I'm wrong. Ten years from being confined, an ill patient remembers not what medications s/he took. Rather, s/he remembers how s/he was taken care of during the entire course of treatment. I have been a patient in the hospital for more than five times ever since I was born. Yes, the physicians play one of the greatest roles in the hospital for patient-health care provider set-up. But have you ever thought of how you could possibly go on in a hospital without a nurse? With no one else to let a three-year-old child calm down whenever an IV line is inserted? Or when a mother of a Cancer patient is too anxious because of the pain her child is feeling, and no nurse is there to let both of them feel less hurt? When there's no one to bathe a hyperthermic patient? When an elderly shouts and spits his medications out because they don't taste well? When there are no folks and the nurse ends up doing the perineal care everyday? Been there, done that! Now, who spends more time with the patients and folks? Who acts as a client advocate and bridges the gap between the physician and patient? The NURSE. Trust me. If you're nurse isn't efficient and effective, your whole stay is like a vacay in a prison cell. We often think of nursing as giving medications on time, checking an X-ray result and sees if the doctor needs to be called, or taking an admission at 2:00 a.m. with a smile on their faces.


I don't intend to look down on the physicians. In fact, I hold them with a high regard. Just as how I hold our nurses. Yes, a mother can nurse her child. But a professional nursing education is what makes a difference. Nurses can take care of your child, just as their own child.. and a degree to back them up! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment